The original insignia consists of a plain D on a shield, with a background of ocean and sky, the missile most likely signifying the anti-aircraft mission of the ship and the trident the anti-submarine aspect, with the ship's alliterative motto: "Dynamic, Dauntless, [and] Daring" on a banner below the shield. The "U.S.S. DAVIS" and "DD 937" complete the insignia, surrounded by mooring line, a motif most likely drawn from the U.S. Navy seal.
The unnamed Forrest Sherman-class destroyer DD-937 was laid down on 1 February 1955 at Quincy, Mass., by Bethlehem Steel Co.; named Davis on 5 December 1955; launched on 28 March 1956; sponsored by Mrs. George F. [Shelagh J.] Davis, widow of the late Comdr. Davis; departed her building yard on 28 February 1957 and arrived at Boston (Mass.) Naval Shipyard, where she was commissioned on 6 March 1957, Comdr. George G. Ball in command.